What Is a Board-Certified Attorney?
Board-Certified in Personal Injury Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization
Attorney Scott Scherr of The Payne Law Group is Board-Certified in Personal Injury Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, a distinction held by only about two percent of all practicing attorneys in the state of Texas. To become board-certified, an attorney must demonstrate considerable knowledge of the law, as well as at least five years of experience as a practicing attorney, at least three of which must have been spent practicing in the area of law in which the attorney is seeking board certification, among other strict requirements overseen by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
Only board-certified attorneys have earned the right to be called “experts” in their particular areas of law. Of the 70,000+ practicing attorneys in the state of Texas, only about 7,200 have earned board certification across all 21 designated practice areas. Fewer than this amount have earned the right to be publicly labeled as “experts” in personal injury law.
What Is the Texas Board of Legal Specialization?
At the request of the State Bar of Texas, the Supreme Court of Texas established the Texas Board of Legal Specialization in 1974 with the intent of certifying lawyers and paralegals throughout the state in various areas of law.
To date, the Texas Board of Legal Specialization is the only organization in Texas with the authority to certify attorneys in these specialty areas, which include:
- Administrative law
- Business bankruptcy law
- Consumer bankruptcy law
- Civil appellate law
- Civil trial law
- Construction law
- Consumer and commercial law
- Criminal appellate law
- Criminal law
- Child welfare law
- Estate planning and probate law
- Family law
- Health law
- Immigration and nationality law
- Juvenile law
- Labor and employment law
- Legislative and campaign law
- Oil, gas, and mineral law
- Personal injury trial law
- Property owners’ association law
- Commercial real estate law
- Farm and ranch real estate law
- Residential real estate law
- Tax law
- Workers’ compensation law
What Must an Attorney Do to Become Board Certified?
Attorneys who wish to become board-certified in a specialty area of law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization must meet various requirements.
These requirements include:
- Being licensed to practice law for at least five years
- Devoting a majority of their practice to the specialty area of law in which they are seeking certification
- Attending and completing various continuing education courses, seminars, and trainings
- Being evaluated by peers (fellow attorneys, paralegals, etc.) and judges
- Passing a comprehensive examination demonstrating their relevant knowledge of the law, procedures, laws of evidence, and related matters
In short, board certification serves as a mark of excellence, establishing an attorney’s exceptional skill, knowledge, and experience in his or her certified area of legal specialty.
Why Work with a Board-Certified Attorney?
When you hire an attorney who is Board-Certified in Personal Injury Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, you help ensure that you will receive high-quality legal services.
Board-certified attorneys are:
- Recognized as “experts” in their area of specialty
- Rare, comprising only about two percent of all practicing attorneys in Texas
- Highly knowledgeable and experienced in their relevant area of law
- Extremely competent in their legal specialty, with demonstrated, proven experience
- Willing to continuously improve their legal acumen, knowledge, and expertise
Board certification is a completely voluntary process; attorneys who choose to pursue board certification demonstrate a commitment to continued excellence in their area of legal specialty. To maintain board certification, an attorney must remain actively engaged in the process and receive ongoing references from their peers, as well as annual completion of continued legal education approved by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
Why Choose The Payne Law Group?
With a board-certified personal injury trial lawyer on staff, as well as a large team of experienced and knowledgeable legal professionals, The Payne Law Group is well-equipped to help you navigate the civil litigation system. We are widely known for our thorough and meticulous approach to case preparation, along with our aggressive client advocacy in and out of the courtroom.
When you choose The Payne Law Group, you can rest assured that you, your case, and your recovery are in good hands. We have built our firm on a foundation of honesty, integrity, communication, and trust within our community. Our Bryan, TX personal injury lawyers are prepared to help you with every aspect of your case, from gathering and preparing powerful evidence to communicating with the insurance company on your behalf. If necessary, we are even prepared to represent you at trial.